06 September 2008

"Pet Food Politics"

This week's Economist has a great review of a recent book called Pet Food Politics by Marion Nestle, which does for pet food what Michael Pollan's brilliant work The Omnivore's Dilemma did for human food: it provides an analytic breakdown of what our four-legged friends are eating, where it comes from, and why so much of it is so very, very bad.

I plan to pick this book up ASAP; as you know, Max has had so much trouble with his diet, and I want to take a more thorough look at what we are feeding him. The work also delves into the scary dog food additives incident of 2007, of personal importance for us because one of the dogs in our family was impacted by a bad batch of that food.

In an age where our pets have the luxury of truly being one of the family -- with playdates, massages, daycares and, yes, their own blogs, they certainly deserve a more stringent regulations on what passes as food. I will let you know as soon as possible what this book has to say.

h

No comments: